ABOUT THE VILLAGE
Egloskerry Parish consists of the village, which is about 5 miles south-west of Launceston, the hamlets of Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath, scattered farms and the manor of Penheale, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book.
There are 3,253 acres (13.16 km2) of land and 9 acres (36,000 m2) of water in the Parish.
It is bounded on the north by the River Attery (Ottery) which separates it from the parish of North Petherwin, on the east by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast and Tresmeer.
The name Egloskerry is Cornish for ‘Church of Keri’. St Keria is thought to have been one of Welsh King Brychan's twenty four children.
The church is thought to have been built by William Boterell of Penheale in the early 12th century. It was originally dedicated to St Ide and St Lydy but in 1509 it was re-dedicated to St Keri and St Petrock. The attractive church is composed of a nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle and porch, and a west tower.
The village was placed on the national Railway map in 1891 with the building of the line from Launceston to Padstow.
Beside the Church, the Village has a School, Children’s Nursery, Village Hall and Play Area.
EGLOSKERRY VILLAGE HALL
Egloskerry Parish Council maintains the Play Area for the benefit of its residents and visitors from the neighbouring areas. It is well used and aims to cater for all the family to enjoy. There's a variety of play equipment for all ages to enjoy as well as a gazebo and picnic benches.